Call for PhD scholar to join a research-for-development project at FORWARD Nepal
“Empowering Youth Entrepreneurs through Appropriate Horticultural Interventions in Nepal” (YUVA) is a research-for-development project. It is one of the research initiatives of USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Horticulture managed by the University of California, Davis. The specific objectives of the project are to identify, test and establish appropriate horticultural enterprises that contribute decent employment and income to the Nepalese youth (women and men).
Forum for Rural Welfare and Agricultural Reform for Development (FORWARD Nepal) as a lead institution implements YUVA, and Welthungerhilfe (WHH) Nepal as consortium partner and provides co-funding and technical support for implementing this project. Moreover, the collaborating partners Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU) of Nepal and the National Farmer Group Federation (NFGF), provide thematic expertise to the YUVA project. The local governments in project districts are expected to establish policy provisions to promote horticulture enterprises by youth including effective funding mechanisms. This project is being implemented at Buddhabhumi Municipality of Kapilvastu district, Sandhikharka Municipality of Arghakhanchi district and Tulsipur Sub-metropolitan City of Dang district of Lumbini Province Nepal from April 2023 to July 2026. For more information about the project, please visit https://horticulture.ucdavis.edu/countries/nepal.
FORWARD Nepal (https://www.forwardnepal.org/announcements) hereby invites applications for PhD candidate to join the project: "Empowering Youth Entrepreneurs through Appropriate Horticultural Interventions in Nepal” (YUVA) as a PhD scholar. The selected PhD candidate will join AFU and accomplish his/her PhD by Research in line with the YUVA project objectives.
The applicant should meet the PhD enrolment criteria (PhD by Research) of AFU. The major criteria include;
An applicant must have a minimum of continuous 5 years of experience in academic, research or development after M.Sc. degree in the related/relevant field. However, prerequisite courses may be required for eligibility based on M.Sc. degree obtained. The candidate having first division (in division scale) or CGPA 3.25 (in 4.0 scale CGPA) must have published at least two research articles and candidate having second division (in division scale) or CGPA 2.5 (in 4.0 scale CGPA) must have published at least three research articles in the refereed journal as a first author. The candidate must have graduated from an institution where undergraduate and postgraduate teaching medium is English. The applicant must submit confidential letters of recommendation from two referees who would be in a position to judge academic and research capabilities of the candidate to undertake the PhD study successfully. At least one of the letters must be from a university professor of the relevant subject. The applicant must submit an acceptable concept research proposal for PhD dissertation. For detail see https://afu.edu.np/directorate-post-graduate-program or contact Directorate of Postgraduate-Program, AFU for further information.
The PhD student will work in FORWARD Nepal and conduct his/her research under the supervision of members of the advisory committee and Principal Investigator of the YUVA project. The research site (s) will be working Palika (s) of the YUVA project. The project will provide excellent working environment together with a dynamic team and monthly stipend to carry out the PhD research activities at YUVA project sites.
Role of the PhD student
- Develop and get approval of research proposal in line with the YUVA project objectives
- Successful presentation of the research proposal with detailed research objectives, research questions and methods
- Coordinate members of the advisory committee, YUVA project team and farmers at the research sites for research activities
- Conduct research activities as per agreed research protocol
- Support YUVA project Principal Investigator in setting up project research trials according to PhD research
- Support in research data management, prepare knowledge products such as research papers, technology fact sheets and training manuals
- Prepare periodic progress reports related to study
- Support and cooperate the Trellis students arriving from US Universities to learn and contribute in the research
- Participate/represent in relevant meetings, workshops, seminars, scientific conferences as recommended by PI
- Assist Masters students integrated to YUVA project with support of AFU and project supervisors in conducting their research activities
- Collaborate with project staff, expert team, implementing partners and collaborates in relation to the research activities and dissemination of research outputs
- Must commit to complete the PhD research activities within the agreed time frame
Minimum education attainment: Master degree in Agriculture (Horticulture or Agribusiness Management/Agricultural Economics)
The candidate should be fluent in English and a Nepali language in speaking and writing, have first hands on skill and knowledge on research design, data collection methods and using appropriate data collection tools, qualitative/quantitative data analysis, reporting and writing research articles. The candidate should bring first-hand experience in working on and with smallholder farmers. The candidate should have proficiency in using office application software and relevant quantitative and qualitative data analysis software. The candidate should be a team player, highly motivated and interested in transdisciplinary research and working in farmers’ fields. Women and candidates from disadvantaged groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted electronically by November 30, 2023 (Mangsir 14, 2080), till 5:00 pm (Nepal time) at email@example.com. All required documents should be submitted as pdf files. YUVA_PHD_APPLIACNT ́S FULL NAME should be used in the email subject line.
The application must include
- Copies of all academic degree transcripts
- Letter of motivation (maximum one page)
- CV including education, work experience, and list of publications (maximum three pages)
- A concept proposal which would be adjusted later with project objectives
- Contact details for at least two referees
Applicants will be evaluated by an expert committee. Relevant applicants will be invited for a research proposal presentation followed by an interview. FORWARD Nepal reserves the right to reject any application that does not meet the specified criteria or fails to comply with the established guidelines and requirements without any explanations.